Saturday, August 1, 2009

Say Thanks.

I am teaching Su to say thanks when she is offered help, things or food. In her nursery, I saw them teach kids to say "Ta" for Thanks. Easy for kids. Every time I tell her ' Say thanks', I really wonder is it that easy.

It is fine, as a routine. I did say “Thanks for calling ..." on every other phone call that I picked up when I worked with the bank. It’s easier to share one with the sales girls, person on the counter, to sundry vendors for tendering exact change. It is definitely good to mutter while getting gifts. It’s most comfortable to thank Him for EVERYTHING.

It is sometimes easy if I can pay for the service or help. During my delivery there was a nurse who helped me through out the labor. She stayed by me from the beginning to end. Then there was another who came over for the second half till I left the ward. When we left the hospital, I paid the second one a good sum of money. I know what she did cannot be quantified by money, but she definitely was happy when I gave a token. It was easy again because she did the service with expectation. For some odd reason, I could never meet the first nurse till date and it kills me every time I think of my days at hospital. I did not dare to give that money to any body else, because I was not sure it would reach her. I wanted to personally thank her a lot and make it clear that money is just a part of my thanks.

Yet, it’s not possible to say thanks always. There are some situations, relations where thanks cannot be told. Saying thanks does not really help. Not only does it look inappropriate but also seem to belittle the deed. Thanks are just not enough and I really could not muster to say it. I was afraid, I would hurt the relationship. It was not truly conveying how I felt about all that they do. My parents, my husband, my best friends...I cannot just say thanks. Gifts again seem to be dull choice here. Even if say it loud a thousand times, it feels pretty less. I sometimes do feel, it would be really nice if I can open up my heart like hanuman and show them how I feel. However, they are people who truly care, understand. They always knew how I felt even when it was unsaid, untold. They are the best. It makes me want to thank them more for this understanding.

Well, I am still going to teach my daughter to say Thanks. It helps most of the time. When it can be said, she would understand.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cm chap said...

First thing.. you haven't told me why she called Su?

Second... You never told me Thanks. So do I assume I come under the esteemed category of ppl to whom you owe your life not just thanks :)

Third... Yes, at some occasions neither words not gifts can really convey what you feel. It reminds me of my hunt for the Fast Track driver who made everytg possible for me to reach aiporot during my first international travel. I even wrote a big mail to Fast track to find him.. But unsuccessful till date. But I'm determined to find him this time when I go to India...

August 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM  
Blogger Fishy said...

First thing first, She is called Su,becuase her home name is Sukh. We call her Sukh .. it means happiness in Hindi.

Second, I never told thanks to you because you never earned one.;).

third, All the best.

August 14, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home